Just read ocCULT by June Summers; the cult in this story began as a pretty normal ‘Pentecostal’ church but quickly morphed into craziness. The parallels to UPC (United Pentecostal Church) are subtle but obvious. Is UPC a cult? Here are some of the definitions of a cult:
- Beliefs, values, or practices contrast with the normal culture or tradition YES
- The group is led to believe that only they have ‘the truth’ YES
- Members usually believe that their group is singled out for persecution PRETTY MUCH
- Leaders control members by getting them to believe they will face death, God’s wrath, etc. if they walk outside the group YES
- Decisions are governed by the rules or ideologies of the structure/leader YES
- Complete obedience is expected within the group PRETTY MUCH
So, is the UPC a CULT? Oh, yeah, . . . .